Competition Number: 13-281 MH
Status: Permanent Full Time
Department: Financial Services
Reports To: Manager, General Accounting
Hours: Days, 7.5 hour shifts
Published here: 2013-07-05
The Patient Revenue Coordinator will be responsible for providing the direction and leadership over the Patient Accounts/Accounts Receivable team in support of the vision, mission and values of Mackenzie Health. As a member of the Financial Services team, the Patient Revenue Coordinator will be responsible for managing all accounts receivable transactions for the organization and maintaining effective relationships with patients. Key responsibilities include the efficient operation of all patient billings including all inpatients, outpatients, WSIB, refugee, non-resident, OHIP, commercial insurance, etc. to maximize and increase all patient revenue streams, assessing the current procedures and making recommendations for improving processes. The Patient Revenue Coordinator will utilize knowledge of patient accounting to evaluate department processes, make recommendations for redesigning workflows and streamlining operation to improve or create new standards, maximize revenue and improve workflows. This position requires experience in a busy accounting environment and excellent communication skills, (both verbal and written). This position will also be exposed to other areas of the Finance Department, and be a key team player in the education and training of staff members. The Patients Accounts (AR) Supervisor reports directly to the Manger, General Accounting and is responsible for the staffing of the accounts receivable area.
• Post-secondary education in accounting/business/finance
• Must have experience in hospital patient billings/accounts receivable
• Thorough understanding of patient revenue billing and procedures
• Knowledge of third party payer regulations and government policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated organizational, time management, and negotiation skills
• Ability to adapt to a continuously changing environment
• A self-starter, self-motivated individual with the ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
• Strong skills in Microsoft Office and specifically Excel are essential.
• Ability to foster partnerships and achieve organizational goals
• Experience with report preparation
• Manage all Patient Accounts/Accounts Receivable staff including inpatient, outpatient, cashier, petty cash, commercial insurance, OHIP, WSIB, Refugee, interprovincial, Non-resident, ambulance, miscellaneous billings, etc.
• Responsible for the timely billing of patient hospital services rendered.
• Establish management controls and tracking tools for all billing and cash handling are being met
• Develop/update written policies and procedures to support the patient accounts/accounts receivable operations.
• Liaise with various departments and levels of the organization to improve patient revenues
• Meet with patients, families for payment issues, payment plans
• Provide support and education to a/r staff and other staff throughout the hospital to minimize errors
• Prepares reports on key performance indicators and performance measurements
• Ensures timely and accurate update of rate tables in the system;
• Establishes and maintains positive relationships with Utilization Coordinators, Patient Access Representatives, Registration, Emergency Staff, Social Workers, Unit staff, Nursing Stations to identify potential for patient revenues and maintain a high degree of accuracy
• Supervises posting and proofing of adjustments, credits and payments to patients’ accounts
• Develops, recommends and implements new procedures in various areas of patient accounts area in order to improve effectiveness of office routines, investigatory procedures, and to ensure consistent patient focused service by facilitating timely responses to complaints;
• Evaluate rates and make recommendations to Business Manager and/or Director of Finance as required.
• Other Duties as assigned
• Proven attendance record.
• Ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
• Demonstrates understanding of contribution to patient and staff safety
• Demonstrates behaviours consistent with Mackenzie Health’s Commitment to Caring.
• Models behaviour that is aligned with the values of Mackenzie Health – Excellence, Leadership and Empathy;
• Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
Candidates may submit a job posting application to Human Resource Services by the closing date. Please quote the appropriate competition number in the subject line of your email (example: HR 01/10). We thank all external applicants, but only those under consideration will be contacted. No Agencies Please.