Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital is the first hospital to be built in the city of Vaughan, and the first new hospital to be built in the York Region in the last 30 years.
One of Mackenzie Health’s two-hospital sites, Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital will also be the first hospital in Canada to feature fully integrated “smart” technology systems and medical devices that can speak directly to one another to maximize information exchange. Through modern and proven best practices, the hospital will provide state-of-the-art healthcare and positive outcomes for patients and their families.
Mackenzie Health is a dynamic regional healthcare provider with a two-site hospital model. It is a public hospital organization under the Ontario Public Hospitals Act, serving people across York Region and beyond. Mackenzie Health includes the future Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, the existing Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital, as well as a comprehensive network of community-based services in Vaughan, Richmond Hill and the surrounding communities.
Mackenzie Health Foundation is spearheading the Exceptional Care Belongs Here campaign – the largest fundraising drive led by a community hospital in Canada – to help build and equip Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, as well as to enhance care at Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital. The multi-year campaign is being led by Campaign Cabinet Chair Greg Sorbara and a team of passionate and dedicated volunteers who reflect the community’s enterprises and cultural diversity. For more information about the campaign and how to get involved, please click here.
The new Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital will include:
- A state-of-the-art emergency department
- Modern surgical services and operating rooms
- Advanced diagnostic imaging
- Specialized ambulatory clinics and intensive care beds
- Medicine, Birthing (Obstetrics), Pediatrics, Mental Health and the York Region District Stroke Centre
- Approximately 90 per cent single occupancy acute-care patient rooms for infection prevention and control
Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital Quick Facts
We project the new hospital will have approximately:
- Gross Floor Area – 1,200,000 sq. ft.
- Total beds – 350
- Emergency visits – 75,000/year
- Pediatric Urgent Care Clinic visits – 1,800/year
- Births – 3,100/year
- Surgical Procedures – 6,300 cases/year
- Medical Imaging Exams – 140,000/year
Conveniently located at the northwest corner of Jane and Major Mackenzie Drive just north of Canada’s Wonderland, the new Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital will be directly accessible to Highway 400 and the connecting 407 and 401 Highways providing ease of access for patients arriving by ambulance or their own vehicle. The new hospital will be part of a larger healthcare precinct which will provide a multitude of services currently being planned in collaboration with the City of Vaughan. For more information on the Health Precinct Plan, click here.