Back to Basics (B2B): Practice Matters was launched in March 2016 as a framework to support clinical care and best practices in our mission to relentlessly improve patient care. In the fall of 2015, Clinical Operations and Professional Practice leaders reviewed all current activity supporting clinical care and best practices at Mackenzie Health. The team rated all activities using a scoring template. Five areas were rated the highest and chosen as key priorities areas:
- Head to Toe Assessment: physical assessment, pain, skin integrity, and Braden scale.
- Rounding: promoted voiding, patient falls, and mobilization.
- Transfer of Care: Standardized shift to shift or patient transfer communication tool called IPASS that takes 2.5 minutes to complete.
- What Matters to Me: Discharge Bundles and Patient/ Family Partnerships.
- Medication Safety: Best Possible Medication History, Medication Reconciliation, Insulin Pens, and Guardrail Pumps
Using B2B as a framework, each patient care unit formed an Interprofessional Unit Council consisting of six-eight regulated health professionals who actively lead each element of B2B priorities. The Unit Council Chairs are members of the Program Quality Committees who communicate required changes, suggested improvements and updates. Stay tuned for more information on this foundational strategy in the coming months.